I’ve written a number of weight loss, diet, and exercise plans for family and friends. In fact, they’re all fairly similar. They just have to be tweaked slightly to the user’s specifications to fit them properly. But the most important thing is that the system works. Finding a system that works is one of the most difficult things for trainers to do. Like all things, you have your principles that can’t be compromised. These principles will be the same throughout different clients that ask for my help. No matter the goals of the client, these principles are consistent and work. Otherwise, they wouldn’t be principles.
Principles stay the same. The minor tweaks to the system account for tailoring to the user’s goals. The three pillars of any body transformation are nutrition, weightlifting, and cardio. If you want to take your physical well-being seriously then these three principles must be part of your daily and weekly habits. Depending on what the client is looking for depends on how much I pull each lever. When I say “pulling the lever” it doesn’t necessarily mean that we are added or taking away from that category. It simply means we are going to focus more on that category which could add more or less effort depending on the user’s goals. However for any goal related to body transformation or sustainability, all three levers must be pulled. That is why they are considered principles.
The most common request that I get are for weight loss and for muscle gain. Below I’ll add a sample version of a typical weight loss plan. For the full plans, feel free to contact me and we can talk about your goals and how I can help.
- I start every weight loss client with a 48 water hour fast. This means nothing but water for 48 hours. For many this may seem daunting. However, it’s really not that bad. I’ve done several 48 hour fasts and can honestly say it’s great. I do these fasts with my clients to show that they’re not alone. If I have more than one client then I’ll try to schedule the fasts at the same time so I’m not overburdened. Long term fasting, such as 48 hours has numerous benefits. It is a great detox of the body, restarts our metabolism, and enhances our natural HGH. More importantly it promotes cell repair more than anything else. It promotes cell repair and longevity which is the reason most people give long term fasts a try. However, the additional benefit that is often overlooked is the psychological benefit. It can be a spiritual journey for some or just a challenge for others. But either way, it proves that someone can go for a long time without food. It proves that we don’t actually need the amount of food that we think we need. There will be short term effects like weight loss but more importantly the long term psychological effects and the cell and metabolism rejuvenation is what we are truly going for. From a trainer standpoint, it also shows me who is serious about their body transformation so I don’t end up wasting time with a client who will not give the amount of effort that I will bring.
- Say goodbye to all bread, dairy, and added sugars. Starting right after the fast the diet will consist of meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, and nuts/legumes. In other words, anything that had a life span whether it was in the ground or walking/swimming the Earth. This obviously excludes the three “no-no’s” in the first sentence. The balance of this diet depends on a few things like gender, goals, and current state. I will also add supplements to aid in weightless, increased metabolism, muscle growth, and inflammation reduction.
- This diet must be followed for at least the work week. During weekends, I allow for cheat days if the client wants them.
- For a client trying to lose weight, we want to get about 4-5 days of exercise in a week. If the client is younger and has few to no problems with their body, then we’ll go higher intensity for 4 days. If the client doesn’t feel comfortable going high intensity, then we’ll adjust for that and add another day. Again, depending on the age and current shape of the client, we will adjust according. For a younger male or female, we’ll utilize heavier lifts with more free weights. For an older male or female, we’ll utilize lighter lights will assisted machines eventually working up to free weights.
- For weight loss, there is no doubt cardio plays a role. While some clients can lose weight from weightlifting alone, cardio is an important role in our overall health and well-being which is why I never fully exclude it. For older males and females, I’ll ask them to walk for at least 30 minutes every day of the work week. For younger males and females, I’ll ask them to perform some sort of cardio activity like running, swimming, or sport of their choice for at least 30 minutes for 2-3 days a week. This mix again depends on the client’s age, goals, and current shape.
I’ve helped many of my friends and clients with their body transformations. Whether it’s weight loss or weight gain, I have utilized these 3 Pillars of Fitness to get them the body they want. If you want full plans for weightless, muscle gain, or overall health please send me a message and we can see if we’re a good fit.